Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ontario Teen Book Fest: Part 2

There's something going on in Ontario!

I was all set to proclaim yesterday's visit to the Ontario Teen Book Fest one of my best days as an author, but then I reviewed the post about my my previous visit in 2012. Apparently (and now I fully remember), that was also one of my best days as an author.

Yesterday began when I woke up at 3am, and then drove to family friend (oh, and amazing author) Mary Weber's to begin a 4-hour car ride. Sitting behind Mary in the photo below is her daughter, Rilian. Behind me is Rilian's friend, Jenna. Despite what our faces say, the coffee was delicious and necessary.


The book festival has grown a lot since my visit four years ago. For example, hashtags and selfies are much more common. In fact, many of the pics I'll post below were found using #OntarioTBF. And if you were a reader attending the festival who wanted selfies with authors, even if they were speaking you could get one!


A few times, unlike the photo above, actual versions of the authors could also be found in the same place.

Virginia Boecker, Kristin Halbrook, Mary McCoy, B.T. Gottfred, Robin Reul,
Jessica Brody, Stephanie Diaz, Sara Elizabeth Santana,
Nicole Maggi, E. Katherine Kotaras, Marrisa Meyer

The organizer of the event was the extraordinary Courtney Saldana. Any continuing awesomeness of this festival is due to her work, and the volunteers she brings aboard.


The conference began with keynotes by me, Marissa, and then Andrew.


And I think we did rather well!


There were three panels that attendees could attend in the morning. Unfortunately, I only got to attend one. Fortunately, I got to be on it!


Lunch, which followed this panel, was provided by Panera. And I was happy to find no onions on my sandwich! Thank you, Panera.


Full bellies make authors very happy.

Not an accurate depiction of our height difference.

Not an accurate depiction of the hair on Jessica's chin.
(She doesn't have any.)

Unfortunately, I could only attend one of the afternoon's three panels. Fortunately, I was on that one, too!


During the massive book signing, Mary and I had the chance to sign another author's book...and it wasn't even vandalism!

Bonus material from Cress by Marissa Meyer.

And look at this reader's homemade shirt!!!


Thank you, OTBF, for another wonderful festival. And thank you for this wonderful tag, which featured the cover of my next book. (A copy of What Light is headed your way, Courtney!)

No comments: