Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Temescal Canyon & Huntington Beach

My cousin teaches Spanish at Temescal Canyon High School in southern California. We've been trying to organize an author visit for a while, and last week we finally made it happen! I love speaking at schools (so feel free to invite me!), but there is an extra jolt of excitement when I get to display for my family what I do when I'm not sitting at a computer writing books...or blog posts.


My cousin Tracy's entire family took time off from work or school (I know, I wish I had an author in the family while growing up!) to hear me speak.


Right after speaking and signing books at T.C.H.S., I zipped across the highway to speak at a fundraiser for Huntington Beach Reads One Book. This was the sixth year of this event, when the entire community is encouraged to read the same book, and the HBReads committee organizes several events to discuss various aspects of the chosen books. This year they chose Thirteen Reasons Why, their first fiction or YA selection.

After the fundraiser, I spoke to a group inside the gym at Huntington Beach High School. I mostly discussed bullying, and what I learned about that issue both before and after writing my novel. In the back of the gym was a display of student-made movie posters for my book.


The next morning, students from several local high schools were bused into the gym to hear me speak. I always start by asking how many of them have read at least one of my books. When the great majority of their hands go up, my first thought is always, "Dude!" (I know, it'd be nice if my first thought was something more philosophical, but Dude! it is.)


And here are close-ups of a few of the posters:





7 comments:

Jenni Bielicki said...

Great recap, Jay! Thanks again for letting me be a part of the HB visit. It was such a memorable time for me, watching the kids getting excited about reading and... you know... having you sign books (both by you and by other people -- Still laughing at that).

Becca said...

Dude!! Cool!!

Unknown said...

#a Wish there was easier way to get more to attend a community event like we had at HBHS for free. Those who came were glad they did and discussion was good about bullying.

Les Goldberg said...

Dear Mr. Asher,
On behalf of everyone associated with HBReads I express my heartfelt thanks for your appearances. You did a magnificent job! Continued success to you.

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Asher,

On behalf of HBHS, HBReadsOne, and my awesome students, I want to thank you for taking time to come speak and visit with the students and for posting their posters on your blog.

Richard Moore said...

Jay made three presentations in HB and each was fresh, with new information. It was a delight to have you here.

Unknown said...

but when is the movie coming out? I LOVED the book and have suggested it to a ton of friends and co-workers who have all come back and told me the same thing I told them, "I read it in one day cause I couldn't put it down!" I'm so excited for the movie...but there have been not updates for months...