Sunday, March 21, 2010

Guten Tag!

Tote Mädchen Lügen Nicht is nominated for a Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis!

Uh…what?

Dead Girls Don’t Lie is nominated for a German Youth Literature Prize!

Um…why are you telling us this?

Because that’s my book! The German edition of Thirteen Reasons Why is called Tote Mädchen Lügen Nicht (Dead Girls Don’t Lie) and I just learned that it’s up for a national award in Germany.


My book is nominated in the Youth Jury (Jugendjury) category, which means it’ll be voted on by youth book clubs in Germany.

When I found out about the nomination, I called my parents to figure out a little genetic family history. I’ve never been very good with fractions, but I’m fairly certain that I’m 1/8 German. Sure, some of the nominees are 8/8 German (or totally German), but I’m catching up! Since hearing the news, I’ve already begun learning a bit of German. For example, my initial reaction to the nomination was Heiliger mist!



A special thanks to René Kissien, a reader in Germany, for helping me to understand this nomination a little more…as well as correcting my German.

11 comments:

Caprica-Lex said...

Congratulations, Jay! Eine hochverdiente Nominierung für dieses großartige Buch. Ich drücke dir die Daumen!

Dead Girls Don’t Lie is nominated for a German Youth Literature Prize!

Why so humble? *g* This is not any award, it's the German Youth Literature Prize and Germany's only state-funded literary award. It's presented during the Frankfurt Book Fair, the world's largest trade fair for books.

I'm not sure if a win would help your run for Presidency in the US, but what about Bundeskanzler? Just get a German citizenship and you're good to go. *g*

For me, that's a nice opportunity to visit the Frankfurt book fair for the first time. Frankfurt is not far away and my girlfriend's mother lives there. Perfect :)

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Congrats, Jay! That's awesome!!

mira ann dowe said...

congrats on your german award! how much german do you know? I know about 5 words, and I dont plan to continue learning. congrats again!

AmandaHewer said...

Congrats! It's well deserved.

=]

Ich bin auf Sie stolz.

Jennie Englund said...

That's pretty terrific!

You can snarf some Spaetzle when you pick up your award?

Congrats!

Susan L. Lipson, Author & Writing Teacher said...

Congratulations! You deserve it!

Megan Bostic said...

Very cool Jay. Congrats!

Lesa said...

Congratulations! The book truly deserves it. Be sure check out my blog on it. I am trying to read 100 books by the end of the year and Thirteen Reasons Why was the first book on my list.

Claire Dawn said...

Congratulations, Jay! I can't think of a better book for any Youth award!

Th1rteen R3asons Why totally ROCKS!!!

-Claire Dawn

PS. I would love to congratulate you in German, but all the German I know is "this car is fast". :(

Karly Kirkpatrick said...

Hey Jay,

What an awesome honor! I'm a German speaker and a German Teacher as well! Be sure to celebrate with a big German beer and some sausages when you win!

Fantastisch!

Jim Di Bartolo said...

BIG congrats Jay! And I LOVE the translated title (it almost sounds like a zombie book, but that's just the nerd in me! :)

Looking forward to seeing you soon man!

Best, and what the heck, congrats again!

Jim