Thursday, September 03, 2009

So Much Drama!

I've edited the intro to this post enough times to know I can't possibly describe how amazing I find this next bit of news. So I'm just going to reprint the lead story on the Antioch Community High School website.

Best seller being adapted for ACHS performance


Thirteen Reasons Why, Jay Asher's 2007 young adult novel that has spent 44 weeks on The New York Times Best Seller List, is coming to ACHS in November in the form of an original adaptation for the stage. Teachers Wanda Teddy and Audrey Nagel worked to write a script this summer along with a group of students.

The story follows high school student Clay Jensen as he listens to a series of recordings sent to him by classmate Hannah Baker, who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's messages take him on a journey through the people and events she describes.

Asher not only has given his permission for his book's adaptation, according to Teddy he is enthusiastic about students bringing his characters to life on stage. "He's looking forward to seeing what we're able to do," Teddy said.

The fine arts department plans to use the play as its entry in the Illinois High School Theatre Festival to be held in January. It hopes that this and future educational theater pieces will get audience members talking about the important issues the characters confront.

Teddy explained that the script is nearly complete and will take the audience past the novel's final chapter. Its 13 acts are expected to run 90 minutes in length. Auditions for the play's 21 characters begin next week, and the curtain goes up on November 12.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news! I'd loooove to see a stage version of your book, but Illinois is a little too far away for me. I hope there'll be lots and lots of pictures! I assume you'll be in the audience?

Anonymous said...

How exciting, Jay!

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Awesome! Congrats! :)

Kat Heckenbach said...

That is justt TOO awesome.

K. M. Walton said...

That is really cool - I'll be it'll be surreal watching it come to life...

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Thats awesome-congrats! I'd love to see a stage performance of this!!! And a movie too some day...

AmandaHewer said...

Wow! Congratulations! I wish I could see it. Maybe the next step is the big screen?

=]

JESSJORDAN said...

Wow, that is so freaking cool. Do you think they'll let you post a video of it afterward?

Yay for 13 Reasons!

Marie Devers said...

Those kids are awesome. They loved your book so much they had to make it real. Must feel amazing.

Congratulations!

NEMO316 said...

hey is this based on a true story?

Jay Asher said...

Keep checking back, everyone! Over the next couple of months I'll be posting photos as they build the sets and start rehearsing. I have no idea what this production will look like, but I'm very excited to find out!

Nemo, if you're asking about the book, no, it isn't based on a true story...but the play is based on a real book!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

That will be FASCINATING...
wow!
I guess a book, once it's out there in the world, really is its OWN thing...
You should be really proud you inspired such passion!
Namaste,
Lee

Candace said...

Ooh, wow that is so exciting! Congrats!

SRH said...

Darn, and I was hoping is was in Antioch, California - almost my back door.

Anyway - hope they do a video and we can get a copy. Great event - as another post said - Broadway or a movie is next.

Congratulations

Aaron

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! It would be so great to see how they interpret your book.

Brittany said...

That's excellent. Good for you!

Rita said...

Wow. That's stellar. That's just . . .

wow.

PebbleCafe said...

Love it!!

If it was Antioch, CA I would have taken the 1.5 hr drive to check it out.

Crossing my fingers they'll send you a video of the production and you'll share it w/us :)

Paige Keiser said...

Woweeee Congratulations!!

annettesayys said...

I am so excited, going to see the play tonight!
I can't wait to meet you jay. :)