Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fall 2009 Children's Books

I recently devoured the Fall 2009 Children’s Books issue of Publishers Weekly. These seasonal issues are the closest I get to recreating the childhood joy of scanning the Sears catalogue at Christmas time. I would spend hours flipping through those slick pages, figuring out which of the newest toys to mention in my letter to Santa.

Based on their brief descriptions in PW, here are the upcoming (or recently released) middle-grade and teen novels which most caught my eye:

Andromeda Klein by Frank Portman. A high school underdog’s tarot card readings become strangely accurate.

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce. A teen falls in love with the genie sent to grant her three wishes.

Claim to Fame by Margaret Peterson Haddix centers on a young TV star who can hear whatever anyone in the world says about her.

DupliKate by Cherry Cheva. An overscheduled teen starts seeing double: suddenly there are two of her.

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer centers on a matchmaking barista who links up her friends based on their coffee orders.

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev centers on a girl who lives in a magical theater inhabited by characters from every play ever written.

Ex-mas by Kate Brian. Two teens embark on an unexpected vacation when they learn that their younger siblings have gone off to save Santa.

Hate List by Jennifer Brown. Valerie’s boyfriend opens fire in the school cafeteria, killing students who were on a list she unknowingly helped create.

I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb. A boy discovers it’s easier to make a fortune and dominate the world than convince his classmates to like him.

Legacy by Tom Sniegoski. A teen discovers his deadbeat father is actually a superhero.

Mirrorscape by Mike Wilks launches a fantasy series about entering another world by stepping into a painting.

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey tells of an orphan who is an assistant to a doctor specializing in monster hunting.

Nelly the Monster Sitter by Kes Gray, illus. by Stephen Hanson, introduces a girl who “monster sits” after school.

Powerless by Matthew Cody. A boy learns that his friends are superheroes who mysteriously lose their powers when they turn 13.

Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson. Leigh’s psych textbook helps her through the trials of freshman year in college.

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund offers a fantasy about killer unicorns and the teenage girls who must hunt them down.

School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari. Four kids are sent to an exclusive summer school to overcome their phobias.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Sam spends his summers as a human and winters as a wolf.

The Stone Child by Dan Poblocki. Characters from mystery novels begin to show up in a boy’s life.

Three Witches by Paula Jolin. Three teens have their own reasons to summon a boy after his car goes over a cliff.

The Unusual Mind of Vincent Shadow by Tim Kehoe, illus. by Guy Travis and Mike Wohnoutka. A boy who creates his own toys has a chance encounter with an eccentric toy inventor.

Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser. High school students mysteriously disappear after being mentioned in a blog.


Does this list say anything about me?

19 comments:

Caprica-Lex said...

The Espressologist and Eyes Like Stars sound interesting. I may check these out.

StefanieEmmy said...

I love this list! There's only one book on it I've got already lieing around here (Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater) and all the others seem to be great too. So, well, I'll have to go shopping ;)

Kat Heckenbach said...

My honest psychological assessment--you have a penchant for stories that sound mystical, magical, and fun, AND a heart for those that hit on hard teen topics.

But then, I could tell that before seeing your list!

Donna Gambale said...

Espressologist sounds really cute. Eyes Like Stars is already on my list to read. I've read Shiver and it's awesome. Best title? I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President. Psych Major Syndrome's also on my list. Mirrorscape sounds really cool, and I can't resist the premise of Legacy (always been a sucker for superhero stories, even though I never read comics.) Great choices!
And I pretty much feel like it's Christmas every time I walk into a library or bookstore.

JESSJORDAN said...

That you have very eclectic tastes? Children's books are awesome. Now I'm excited ...

C.J. Redwine said...

I've read both SHIVER and EYES LIKE STARS and can't recommend them highly enough. I loved them so much, I stalked people in my local bookstore and convinced them to buy those books. Then I stalked the book store employees until they agreed to order more.

Yeah. They're that good. :P

Steph Su said...

It says that you have fantastic taste in literature! I adored Eyes Like Stars and As You Wish; those are two you should definitely read. I like the idea of these seasonal book lists as Christmas wishlists... perhaps I'll just forward the whole list to my relatives and cross my fingers... :)

Lisa Mantchev said...

Many thanks for the mention, Jay.

(And as far as what this list says about you... I'm guessing you have a thing for fantasy. *G*)

Jennifer Brown said...

...I'm just busy repeating, "Yay! Jay Asher mentioned my book!" and being all thankful and stuff! :-)

SRH said...

Does it say anything about you . . .

Yes - it says get the next book going so it is on next years list.

Aaron

Kristina Springer said...

Whoo hoo!! Thanks for the mention! :-)

Nessa said...

this list is totally awesome! Jay you ave been a hero to me since i read thirteen reasons why

Ashley said...

There are a lot of books on here that are on my TBR pile!
-Eyes Like Stars
-As You Wish
-DupliKate
-Hate List
-Rampant
-School of Fear
-Shiver

kah said...

I'm reading the ARC of Hush,Hush that will be released in October. Great one to consider for your list. :)

Sarah Webb said...

Hi Jay,
From an Irish children's bookseller and YA writer - loved the book, will be recommending it to everyone in Ireland!
And nice list - I'll be checking out your blog on a regular basis from now on.
Sarah
https://sarahwebb.ie

Alicia said...

Considering I geeked out over 13 Reasons, I'm thrilled that you mentioned my book, PSYCH MAJOR SYNDROME. That's totally awesome. Thanks for the mention -- I do hope you enjoy it! I've read SHIVER already, and it's amazing. :)

Thao said...

It says that my favorite author likes books that like too ^^ There're some books in the list that are really yummy I just want to eat them.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Neat challenge - to go through and tell everyone what caught your eye!
Now I wanna go do it myself...
Namaste and a Hug,
Lee

JESSJORDAN said...

Thanks to your list, I just ordered Psych Major Syndrome (which I'd never heard of), Hate List, and Shiver. YOU are a bad influence! :D