Thursday, January 29, 2015

50 States Against Bullying: WASHINGTON

The thirty-fifth stop on the 50 States Against Bullying campaign brought me to Washington. I got to my hotel Wednesday night, and when I looked out my hotel window the next morning, it looked like it would be a beautiful day.


But really, any day where I get to speak to students is a beautiful day!


Did that sound too cheesy? Well, too bad! Because it's true.

I entered Chinook Middle School and saw #ReasonsWhyYouMatter notecards in flag-formation.


The 7th and 8th graders filled the gym, and it was fascinating to compare the students with faculty at this school. The students had so much energy! They'd listen closely and quietly, but then laugh so easily it could take a while to bring the noise down again. Which made it fun for me! And the faculty? They were just as energetic. I don't know if they all do jumping jacks between class periods or what, but they're doing something right here.



Then I had a few hours before a signing at University Book Store, so I went to the EMP Museum, which has the best pop culture exhibits of any museum I've seen. They had an entire Nirvana exhibit, which included several recognizable Cobain sweaters.


Walking through the Sci-Fi rooms, every time I rounded a corner I thought of a different friend who would have geeked out over what they displayed. Like David Bowie's clothes and wig from Labyrinth!


But the area I was most excited to explore concerned horror movies.


They had one of those stick thingies from The Blair Witch Project...


...a panel of dials and levers used in many classic movies, like Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein...


...and a zombie suit from Michael Jackson's Thriller video, which was probably my introduction to horror.


But the scariest prop was still that wig over in the Sci-Fi room.


1 comment:

Sabrina Steyling said...

Any Doctor Who stuff in the sci-fi rooms at the museum? Now THAT I would have geeked out over! :)