Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Letters About Literature

Each year, the Library of Congress runs a Letters About Literature contest, asking students in grades 4 through 12 to write letters to authors. The students are to tell the authors how one of their books affected them. For this contest, the letters aren't actually mailed to the authors (which makes sense, because the rules state that the authors can be deceased), but the winning letters are posted online.

And one letter is to me!!!

(Thankfully, I still have the ability to read my letter
due to the fact that I'm not a deceased author.)

Almost 70,000 students from across the country submitted letters this year. Two letters from each category (grades 4-6, 7-8, 9-12) were selected as winners. Each winner got a $500 giftcard to Target (which partners with the Library of Congress for the contest), and each winner also got to choose their favorite library, which will receive a $10,000 grant.

What an amazing contest!

I've already reversed the contest and written to Amber-Nicole Watty to tell her how much her letter means to me. You can read her winning letter here. And if you're anything like me, you'll be crying by the time you reach the end.

5 comments:

Naomi Canale said...

This is very inspirational Jay, I'm in awe--beautiful!

Martha Ramirez said...

Wow!!! I just read the letter. That is soooo awesome! What a little writer she is too. She totally nailed it. You should be proud!! 13 RW simply rocks!!

Yvonne Ventresca said...

What an incredibly moving letter. I think this is the essence of why authors write -- to reach people in such a profound way. Thanks for posting.

Jodi Kendall said...

Wow, what an amazing letter. So inspiring, and a tribute to the importance of your work, Jay.

Amber-Nicole Watty said...

I'm still in shock that you responded. Thank you so much! I cannot express how grateful I am that you read my letter!