Saturday, August 01, 2009

On the Road: Massachusetts & New Hampshire

It was the final day of my book tour. Two states in one day!

I flew into Boston and was taken to Framingham, Massachusetts for a signing at Barnes & Noble. That's where Maddi helped me out by reading the words of Hannah Baker.


Thank you, Maddi! You were a lot of fun to read with.

Then it was off to another Barnes & Noble in Manchester, New Hampshire. On the drive over, my body must've realized there was only one stop to go because it started to shut down. For the first time on this tour, I fell asleep in the car. I was completely out! Thankfully, I didn't have to walk very far to get inside the store because they saved us a spot right in front.


And yes, I know I look tired in that photo. But as usual, the moment the seats began filling up, the adrenaline kicked in and I couldn't wait to start yappin'.


Thank you, Julia, for being the ninth and final Hannah on my tour. You ended it superbly!


Once again, thank you to all of the previous Hannahs for agreeing to appear on my blog. Otherwise, I know I would've received a ton of e-mails like, "What happened to the Hannah in [insert state here]? Did she mess up? Did you laugh at her???"

No, everyone did great!

And to read on the flight home, I bought two books.


The night before my visit in New Hampshire, Carrie Jones had a signing at the same store (Carrie and I were both members of the Class of 2k7). She signed some extra books before she left, so I grabbed one! I also grabbed the first installment of my buddy Jarrett J. Krosoczka's brand new Lunch Lady series.

And here's me reading from Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute at my own booksigning.


In fact, I know of two more Lunch Lady copies that sold simply because I told my audience about it. Seems it would only be fair if Jarrett read from Thirteen Reasons Why at his next booksigning, doesn't it? (Elementary school kids don't seem to buy many copies of my book, so that would introduce it to a whole new market!!!)

I'm flying back home tomorrow, but these past nine days have been a dream come true. I've been having a lot of fun meeting my readers face to face. And I know it's all because of you that Thirteen Reasons Why has become a success. At every stop, you told me that you made your friends read the book, and your teachers, and your parents. You are the reason why Penguin decided to send me on the road.

Thank you for coming to hear me speak. Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts about my book.

Thank you.

And JoanMarie, I'll see you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I really wish I could've gone...My teens Michelle and Julia said it was amazing, and Julia was so excited she got to read. So thanks for making their day!

Donna Gambale said...

Congrats on a great tour -- now go home and relax a little!

Kaique said...

Ohh my sister and I look amazing in the picture, haha. Thank you for showing up at the Barnes and Noble in Manchester, you were great! My sister and I loved your presentation and as soon as we came home she said, "ONCE I FINISH THIS BOOK I JUST BOUGHT, I AM READING 'THIRTEEN REASONS WHY'!" Oh, and I got 2 friends of mine in Brazil to buy the book too! That cover IS awesome.