Today I combed through and deleted hundreds of old emails. So far, I’ve made it through 2007 and 2008. Here are a few snippets from those years which made me smile all over again:
I just (and I mean just, less than five minutes ago) finished reading it and it is one of the best, if not the best, books I have ever read.
- from the very first e-mail my editor received regarding the Advance Reading Copy of Thirteen Reasons Why (which caused both of us to relax…a little)
I'm so excited about your book. I never doubted you'd make it big as a writer--perhaps this generations Judy Blume…I love your sense of humor and I'm sure the book is poignant and hilarious.
- from a former co-worker who apparently didn’t know what my book was about
Thirteen Reasons Why is the only book that my whole galley group (eleven girls) has cherished, and every new member MUST read Thirteen Reasons Why or else...well one of the members says that it is the initiation of joining the group.
- from a member of a bookstore book club which reads through Advance Reading Copies to help the store decide what to stock
5. Do you like catfish? Taylor Grocery has the best catfish around. My best friend is the chef.
- from a bookseller trying to convince me (with thirteen reasons, of course) to visit her town
Last night was a BLAST! It was so much of a blast that I when I left the school, I left it unlocked and a candle burning...lol. (Thank goodness nothing is missing...that we know of, and my principal has not fired me yet!) The kids had so much fun (we got some great pics!) and the discussion was phenomenal...much better than I ever imagined!
- from a school librarian after leading a book club discussion of my book
First let me start by saying I absolutely loved your book Thirteen Reasons Why! That is why I have decided to teach it in my Modern Literature class for the 2008-2009 school year.
- from a teacher
Congratulations! THIRTEEN REASONS WHY has hit the New York Times bestseller list at #10! Everyone at Penguin is so happy for you!
- from my publicist at Penguin
2009, here I come!