Monday, October 21, 2013

Washington Swings

This past weekend, I flew up to Seattle and then drove to Yakima for the 2013 Washington Library Media Association conference. In the morning, I gave a presentation to a roomful of librarians eating breakfast. The talk went great (partly because a librarian with a full tummy is a happy librarian).
 

Then I gave a talk called Let's Discuss What's "Appropriate" in Teen Novels. This gave me a chance to speak about how it feels to be a banned author (hint: it sucks), and thank librarians for often being the first line of defense to make sure teens have access to books that some people refuse to see value in.

After the conference, I drove back to Seattle to hang out with one of my very favorite authors, Cat Patrick. Cat drove me to Ballard, where we stopped at the corner of...


Why'd we stop there? Because on that corner is the park where the cover of Thirteen Reasons Why was shot!


It was eerily cool to see that swingset in person.


While we got the angle slightly wrong, which is why the background's different, I'd say I got the pose down pat!


We took some other pics on the swing, but I don't think they would've worked for the cover of that particular book. Maybe for a prequel?



We then searched the tiles made by children on the concrete wall surrounding the play area to find one that best fit the novel.


This is what we found...

9 comments:

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

That wall o'tiles is amazing, especially the one you shared! How very cool to visit your book-cover-photo-shoot-site.

Bethany Neal said...

It's so amazing that you can go to where your cover was shot. The reenactments were priceless. Can't wait for that prequel! ;)

Sabrina Steyling said...

Coolness! Love the pix, you're too funny LOL. :)

I would think that being a banned author does suck, but I guess it could be kind of cool, too, couldn't it? I dunno, it gives off a bit of a rebel vibe to me... ;)

cat patrick said...

You're one of my very favorite authors too, yo. So great to see you.

Unknown said...

Great pics! Thinking that I'll drive over Saturday to check out the swing. Appreciate your comments Saturday morning.

Katie Sparks said...

Wow, that is so cool that you go to visit the site of your cover! How fun!! :)

Unknown said...

Are there any plans for a new book?

Megan Bostic said...

No idea that swing was shot in my neck of the woods. I need to catch you at a book function some time in this area.

Ashley Anne said...

What an amazing post. I wish my old high school would have tackled something like TRW. And those pictures of you were hilarious.