Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Rock this Way

This past weekend, JoanMarie and I did a lot of cool things which I'm not allowed to publicly tell you about...yet. But I will tell you about the most awkward moment. On Saturday, we stayed at my aunt and uncle's house and watched a home video from 1990. Now, JM's never seen a video of me from the High School Daze. This one was set on Christmas Eve and contained me in my acid-washed jeans, skinny body, gap-toothed, full-on mullet glory.

JoanMarie's response to that visual embarrassment? "You're so cute."

Yep, she's a keeper!

On that video, one of the presents I opened was Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation CD. And that was weird because, two days later, we went to the California Mid-State Fair and saw...AEROSMITH!!!

If you've never been to a state fair, half of the fun is the food. And even though bacon and chocolate are two of JM's favorite foods, the combo seemed a bit too much to even try.


Aerosmith was one of the bands which caused guitar rock to dig its claws into me during the summer of 1988. The anticipation of seeing them live for the first time was almost unbearable.


Steven Tyler, the lead singer, has to be the best frontman of all time. His vocal screams are still perfect and his stage presence is mesmerizing. And the dude is 62!


Remember the slappin' da bass scene in I Love You, Man?



That was pretty much me all night. But I was shreddin' da guitar!


JoanMarie's response? "You're so cute."

Rock on!

7 comments:

Beth S. said...

Joan Marie is definitely a keeper. I am constantly telling my husband (or maybe he's just constantly reminding me) that I wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole in high school.

Thankfully, I've changed since then. :o)

Candyland said...

And I liked you before...
Steven Tyler is on my "must meet" bucket list. He practically raised me (without his knowledge, I learned about all the joys of life; sex, drugs and rock n roll)...

Sandy said...

Aww that's very cute she definitely is a keeper ^_^.

K. M. Walton said...

True love sure is great.

Kat Heckenbach said...

Why didn't ya post a pic of you with the mullet and acid wash jeans? Hehehe....

Jay Asher said...

The footage from Christmas Eve of 1990 is still on VHS and we haven't digitized it yet. So, you see, I simply can't show you it to you.

The question is, would I if I could?

Hmm...

Anya Starlight said...

omg! jay asher, i am reading your book 13 reasons why, i have just finished jenny's tape and i think your book is absolutely amazing!!!! why don't you write a sequel? my friend who lent me the book has an idea of what the sequel can be about.
i haven't even finished your first book yet and your already one of my favorite authors. i love that you wrote about depression and suicide as i am fascinated with the human brain, i want to be a psychiatrist when i grow up but i also want to write.