Thursday, June 17, 2010

Grateful, Grateful, Grateful, Grateful, Grateful, Grateful, Please

I've become a much more spiritual person the past couple of years. The biggest impact this has had on my life is that I no longer worry about ridiculous things anymore. And almost everything's ridiculous when it comes to worrying! Either you do something about it, or you realize that there's nothing you can do about it.

The result? I'm much calmer and I enjoy life more. I also think my hair has stopped thinning! It's not coming back, but it's also not going away. (Or maybe I'm just not worrying about it anymore...)

While I'm very content and happy with my life right now, there are still plenty of things I want. When my Momma-In-Law stayed with us recently, I learned a new way to think about those wants when she showed me the Gratitude Beads her pastor made for her.


Basically, when you find yourself wanting something, you start by turning your mind toward gratitude. You touch the tan beads, one by one, and think about six things in your life that you're thankful for. Finally, you touch the textured bead and ask for what you want.

Cool thing is, by the time you reach the textured bead, you realize how much you've already been given.

Does that make a difference as far as whether or not your wish or prayer will come true? Probably not. But it will make a difference in how you view the world.

7 comments:

Beverley BevenFlorez said...

I love the concept of the gratitude beads. It's true that it's easier to think about what you want versus what you already have. Thanks for sharing this.

Kat Heckenbach said...

How very, very true. And it may not make a difference in whether you get what you want, but it can makes a difference in how you ask for it! I know that when I start my prayers with thanks, the "pleases" come a little more humbly and realistic.

Sunshine and Shadows said...

I love this idea. I think I need to make some gratitude beads for myself. Thanks for sharing this.

Claire Dawn said...

Interesting concept.

Things bug for a while. Then I'm like "can't change it. If it's meant to, it will."

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

HI Jay!

Funny- I was thinking a similar thing today and trying to remember this quote that went something like: If you have a problem and you can't do anything about it, what is the use of worrying? And if you have a problem and you can do something about it, what is the use of worrying?...If I could remember the quote you could see that the wording was much better...anyhow-

Hurray for less stress!

Steph

Robin said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. Earlier this morning I was telling someone just that it is easy to get caught up in the wants and forget the haves this is a great reminder. I too think I will go make some gratitude beads for my husband and kids (=

Anonymous said...

didn't know where to post this. I was am dropping by to say how amazing your book "13 reasons why" was. I ended up reading the novel in one day exact. I would have finish the book in least than a day if there where things to do during the day.

I haven't done had that experience with a book in a while now. Where I just pick it up and just can't put it down. The story felt so real and amazing. I don't usually read these kind of novel where the story lines can be so realistic. (I usually read fantasy, supernatural, and sci-fi novels) It was a good switch of normal novel I read. I can't wait to see what else you have plan to write in the future.

A fan
Melody