Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bigfoot saved my butt

About five years ago, during the interview for my first book-related job (as an assistant children’s librarian), the head children’s librarian asked me what I was currently reading. Thankfully, I had picked up a new book just the other day.

Sasquatch,” I said.

Without even a slight pause to search the catalogue in her head, she asked, “Oh, by Roland Smith?”

I was definitely impressed.

And she could tell I was impressed. “It’s just a part of the job. You’ll get there.”

There are a few subjects I became fascinated with as a child which I still, from time to time, find myself drawn to. Bigfoot is probably the hairiest of these recurring fascinations. Every few months I check out BFRO.net, the online home of the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization, to read up on the latest reported sightings. I’ve wanted one of their cool (well, they're cool to me) t-shirts for a long time. So I finally added it to my Christmas list this year. When I got everything on that list except the shirt, I splurged and bought it for myself. And on Thursday, it arrived in the mail. Woo-hoo!


The other Woo-hoo! this week arrived via e-mail from my publisher. It was a copy of the latest New York Times bestsellers list. In its eleventh week of popping on and off the list, Thirteen Reasons Why had its best showing ever, landing at number four!


It’s quite an honor to have placed right behind Gordon Korman and his installment of The 39 Clues (Mr. Korman gave 13RW a wonderful blurb). And I guess there’s no use in ever hoping to beat that wimpy kid. He's been on the list for 90 weeks!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never know - you might creep up to #3 then #2 and then on top.

Most likely you will stay on the list now and bounce around between 4 and 7 (an arbitrary number).

More Exposure = better sales = topping on NYTBSL

Anonymous said...

WhooHoo! Nice.

Danette V.

Candace said...

Congrats! I've been recommending your book to everyone I know since I read it when it first came out.

Jay Asher said...

What, no one was impressed by my BFRO t-shirt? C'mon!!!

Wild About Words said...

Woot! Woot! Bet you could never have imagined this two years ago. Now you probably can't imagine it any other way. Hope you're enjoying your life of a New York Time's best-selling author!

Overdrive HELP! said...

Bigfoot works in mysterious ways...

Anonymous said...

Actually with the new rules about what constitutes a "series" (used to be at least 1 book had to published in hardcover but now it's all series starting with their 3rd book), I think you'll be staying there for awhile! Wimpy Kid just released #3 & 39 Clues will release #3 in March.

Aimee said...

I just finished 13RW and I'm speechless. I've been left with a flood of emotion and I can't wait to see what's next for you. Thank you so much for sharing your writing this way. The book. it is. amazing.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

congrads on the list - how exciting!

Paula said...

Congrats. Your book belongs on this list.